Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A Fun Afternoon In Breckenridge




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I drove up to Fairplay, Colorado this past Saturday to see the South Park City Museum, which I really enjoyed touring. Afterwards, I drove half an hour north on Highway 9 to Breckenridge, which is my favorite mountain town in Colorado. It is filled with buildings from it's days as a mining town. However, unlike places like Leadville, which actually look like old mining towns and give you an idea of what life was probably like back then, all of Breckenridge's historic buildings have been restored and turned into upscale restaurants, shops, and homes. It is what a mining town would have looked like back in the 19th Century if it was occupied by wealthy hipsters.





Breckenridge is a world-class ski resort, but it is also a very popular summer resort, too. Not only does it have a quaint main street and lots to see and do, it also has a very pretty riverfront, as seen in the photograph on the right. And when the leaves turn, it is truly beautiful. In the fall, I try to leave enough time after viewing the aspens along nearby Boreas Pass Road to stop in town, preferably during Oktoberfest, a very popular festival up there.





Years ago, my then wife Lisa, sister Susan, brother-in-law George and I were invited by Father Bob, a friend in charge of music at St. Thomas Seminary in Denver, to spend the weekend at a condo in Breckenridge with him, some seminary students, and someone named Sister Carla. A friend of Father Bob let him use that condo whenever he wanted, which is a nice perk when you have taken a vow of poverty. He also got to drive his friend's sports car, too. I was nervous about bringing beer along, afraid it might offend Sister Carla, but I needn't have worried. She was standing in the driveway, wearing bib overalls, with a beer bottle in her hand, when we arrived. And I must say, we saw a lot of Breckenridge's nightlife that weekend. It was a lot of fun, and Breckenridge seems to be just as much fun as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment