Sunday, August 22, 2021

Thoughts On Retirement


I took the above photograph of my father Nelson at Hobe Sound Beach back in June of 1979, while my sister Susan and I were visiting our parents down in Stuart, Florida, where they had retired to from the Chicago area three years earlier. My father was a dentist, basically forced by his parents to follow that career path, and he always hated doing that work. It is therefore no surprise that he couldn't wait to retire and head down to Florida. He thought Stuart was Camelot, and just loved living there, as did my mother Mary. My father was 70 years old back then, two years older than I am now. Sadly, he passed away four years later at the age of 74. That fact has made me think seriously about how to spend the rest of my retirement years going forward. My sister and I still own their condo, but rent it out to pay the expenses, and so we never get to use it. I keep wondering at what point I should stop worrying about expenses and start enjoying what we have, while we can. I still have no answer to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment