Sunday, August 8, 2021

Biking Chicago's Lakefront In the 1970s





Back in the 1970s, my sister Susan, brother-in-law George, and I would put our bikes in the car, park by the Shedd Aquarium, and then bicycle along Chicago's Lakefront to Hollywood Beach, where the bike path ended, and where I took the photograph on the left of Susan and George back in April of 1973. Those were fun times, and the bike ride along the lake was great. Chicago is a truly beautiful city, and nothing can compare with that lakefront.





The Oak Street Beach was especially nice, although I am not sure that was where the photograph on the right was taken. The Drake Hotel was right in front of that beach, and is where Susan and George had their wedding reception back in 1969. The Drake, of course, is one of the fanciest hotels in the city. It was at that wedding reception that I learned that there are such things as restroom attendants, and that they actually expect a tip. A massive shock for a poor young teenager from the South Side of Chicago.





One of these days, I hope to go back to Chicago, rent a bike, and ride along the lakefront once again. I would stay at the Drake, but have a strong loyalty to the Motel 6 organization, as well as to the South Side of Chicago, and feel I would be betraying a sacred trust if I stayed anywhere but at a Motel 6 on the South Side of the city. Plus, there will never be any worries about washroom attendants around there.


No comments:

Post a Comment