Saturday, August 14, 2021

Key West Luck


I just finished reading Key West Luck, one of Laurence Shames Key West comic mysteries. Years ago, Shames began writing these humorous stories, starting with Florida Straits, and some were New York Times best sellers. Eventually, he moved from Key West to Ojai, California - I suspect to do scripts for Hollywood - and stopped writing the series. However, a few years ago, I discovered that Shames had started writing these Key West mysteries once again, and is selling them on Amazon. I am gradually buying and reading them one by one, and working my way up to his most recent release. In Key West Luck, through no fault of their own, two newcomers to Key West get in over their heads with a local con artist and gangsters smuggling a document out of Cuba. They are helped out of this jam by some friendly locals, including Bert the Shirt, an old, eccentric, but friendly and well-meaning ex-Mafia guy. I really love this series, and heartily recommend it. But don't count on getting these books from your local library. I think Amazon is the only place that sells them these days. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment