Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Hipster Hangouts - Everything Old Is New Again!




I went for a walk in Denver's Lower Highlands neighborhood (LoHi) this past Friday afternoon and ran across a pretty attractive bar and restaurant, the entrance of which is seen in the photograph on the left. In addition to all the flowers and vegetation in front, it features a large, rustic patio with fire pits to sit beside, and even has a stream running through it.  I looked all over, but could not find a sign telling me the name of the place. And what's the deal with that? After I got home, I looked at a google map and learned it was called Forest Room 5, a popular spot for LoHi hipsters. And in fact, I remember this place - it used to be a dive bar that catered to Denver Bronco fans, and was purchased and rebranded back in 2003. And it only took me 18 years to learn this. I'm definitely getting better, not older. The place looks great, but if you've had a few drinks, can you ever find your way out again?





On the way home, I walked though Larimer Square in Lower Downtown Denver (LoDo). And yes - every damn neighborhood in the city seems to have an acronym these days, which is starting to get very annoying. In any case, Larimer Square, seen in the photograph on the right, is filled with commercial buildings from the 1870s and 1880s, and was saved from the wrecking ball by local developer Dana Crawford. It too is attracting it's fair share of hipsters. I myself tend to avoid hipster hangouts these days, and prefer places like Spanky's, on East Evans Avenue, just to the west of the University of Denver. What it lacks in hipsters it makes up for in happy hour specials. We older hipsters have our priorities, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment