Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Oh Deer!





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I drove from Denver to Waterton Canyon Sunday afternoon for a short hike. At the trail entrance, there was a sign posted telling in detail what to do and not do when wildlife approaches, specifically bighorn sheep and mule deer. I did not see any bighorn sheep, although toward sunset I did spot a couple of deer. Deer are pretty common in Colorado, and so seeing one is not all that exciting, although I did take some photographs of them. What I really want to see are bear, moose, and mountain lions, but have had no success.





In fact, I have driven all over the states of Colorado and Wyoming looking for moose, but despite newspaper and magazine articles claiming these states are jam-packed with moose, I have never caught a glimpse of one. I suspect there are no moose in Colorado at all, and moose sightings are just made up by the tourist bureau to attract visitors. I will probably see a unicorn before I ever see a moose. As for bears and mountain lions, I have never actually gone looking for them, for obvious reasons, but have never seen any of them, either. For better or worse, it looks like I will never be able to take a "selfie" with any of these creatures, which I have heard can be quite tricky. But definitely doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment