Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Littleton Museum Part II





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I went to the Littleton Museum a few days ago to walk around and take a few photographs. The Littleton Museum's grounds include "living farms" from the 1860s and 1890s. The farmhouse from the 1860s was actually just a log cabin, and pretty damn basic. The farmhouse from the 1890s, as seen in the photograph on the left, was quite an upgrade, and looks pretty comfortable.






As with the pigs, the two oxen were very much interested in their food, and not interested in posing for a portrait. Like with the pigs, I moved on and then came back later, when one of them finally decided to look up from it's meal and look at me, when I took the photo on the right. Of course, it did not stop eating while it did, which I personally find pretty rude, but I imagine museum personal don't have time to teach the animals manners. Perfectly understandable.





The goat in the photograph on the left shares a pen with two cows, with whom it was trying to compete at the feeding trow as I approached. It finally looked up for a minute so that I could take it's photo, and then went back to chomping down on some hay - yum! I evidently arrived during the dinner hour, since on previous visits this creature would put it's two front hoofs on the fence and try to interact with visitors. Not this time - I guess everybody has their priorities, even goats.





As I was leaving, I decided to take one more photograph of a ram, seen in the photo on the right, since they were so numerous. According to the Littleton Museum website, the animals here are ones that were kept on these farms back in the 1860s and 1890s. These days, there are still a number of buildings from that era in downtown Littleton, which sprang up to serve those farms, and makes a pleasant place to shop and dine. However, except for the Littleton Museum, the farms are all gone, replaced by suburbia. It is really wonderful that the city fathers had the foresight to preserve this part of their past.

No comments:

Post a Comment