Friday, December 17, 2021

Revisiting The Littleton Museum





I drove down to the Littleton Museum, in the suburb of Littleton, just south of Denver, a few days ago to walk around and take a few photographs. In addition to the museum proper, the grounds include two "living farms," one from the 1860s, seen in the photogrdaph on the left, and one from the 1890s. This area was settled by farmers in the 1860s, and soon the town of Littleton was established to help serve this market.






The best part of the museum are the farm animals, of course. The first time I encountered the pig in the photograph on the right, it was totally involved in scarfing up as much food as it could get in it's snout (it is, after all, a pig). After a while, I gave up and moved on to the other animals. When I came back a second time, it looked up briefly to see who was there, which is when I snapped the photograph on the right.






I had no trouble getting the attention of the sheep in the photograph on the left. And you can tell from it's expression how happy it was to see me. Perhaps if I had brought a snack - perhaps a Snickers bar. Coming from the south Side of Chicago, where farm animals are a bit of a rarity,I am not all that familiar with different kinds of sheep, and why it is not white like the others. And as long as it poses for me, I don't really care.






The ram in the photograph on the right was also quite willing to pose for a portrait. The Littleton Museum seems to have a lot of sheep on the grounds. Perhaps they got a deal on them. In any case, if you live in the area, you can't go wrong spending an afternoon here. And best of all, it is free. My favorite price-point.

No comments:

Post a Comment