Friday, December 3, 2021

Walking Around Sloan's Lake - Yes! Again!




It was a pleasant fall afternoon this past Tuesday, and so I took a light rail train from my condo across the street from the University of Denver to Sloan's Lake (SloHi), one of Denver's up and coming neighborhoods. There has been a lot of development around the south end of the lake, including Lakehouse, as seen in the photograph on the left. Condos there start at $540,000 for a one bedroom, one bath, and $825,000 for a two bedroom, two bath. The most expensive unit sells for a cool $1,700,000, and is actually under contract, damn it. That was the unit I was considering buying, and so I decided to take a walk around the lake to take my mind off that disappointment.




Sloan's Lake was once a farm back in the 19th century, and the owner decided to drill a well on the property. He wound up hitting a natural spring, and the next morning, the farm had turned into a lake. The City of Denver eventually bought it, along with some adjoining land, and turned it into a park. The neighborhoods bordering the north and east sides of the park were always kind of upscale, while the south end was an Hispanic neighborhood. That is the area where all the new apartment buildings, condos, and McMansions are being built, including Lakehouse. As I walked around the lake, there was still a wide variety of people out enjoying the afternoon, although young affluent hipsters seem to be in the majority these days. And just where do they get the money to live in all those pricey residences? I was tempted to walk up to some of them and ask, but decided it would ruin the day if I was thrown in the clink, and so kept the questions to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment