Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Five Weeks Until Spring Training - Maybe


Spring training is scheduled to begin on February 16th, exactly five weeks from today. However, baseball owners and players are once again arguing over a new collective bargaining agreement, and as far as I can tell, there has been no progress since the owners "locked out" the players on December 2nd. I would not hold my breath expecting they will reach an agreement anytime soon, by which I mean this decade. On the bright side, the strike will not affect minor league baseball, which is cheaper, provides much better seats, features various stunts and contests each half inning, and is just a heck of a lot more fun than major league baseball. My favorite minor league venue, by the way, is Roger Dean Stadium, which is the spring training site for the St. Louis Cardinals and Miami Marlins, but is the home of the minor league Jupiter Hammerheads and Palm Beach Cardinals during the regular season. I took the photograph above of a Palm Beach Cardinals game from my front row seat back in the summer of 2008. And so, happily, all is not lost if those millionaires can't reach an agreement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment