Sunday, January 9, 2022

Newport Beach Used To Be Affordable. Who Would Have Thought?


When my sister Susan and I visited California this past fall, we had planned to stop in Newport Beach to have a look around. I last visited that beachside community over 50 years ago, and was anxious to see it again. However, the traffic was so bad that we ran out of time, and had to drive on to San Diego without stopping. Back in 1968, my parents, Nelson and Mary, and I visited my paternal grandparents, Claire and Fleta, who lived in a trailer park in Costa Mesa. Back when they lived in Chicago, they used to spend winters at a place in Newport Beach, as seen in the photograph above. When it became too expensive for them, they decided to live year round at the Trade Winds Mobile Home Park in Costa Mesa, just up the road from Newport Beach, and had a happy retirement there. What I find amazing is that Newport Beach, home of the super rich, was once actually affordable. That just boggles the mind. I also assume that the traffic was not so bad back then, either, which is equally amazing. Talk about missing the good old days, especially if you happen to be a Californian.

No comments:

Post a Comment