Sunday, January 2, 2022

New Year's Weekend Continues!


New Year's Day was on a Saturday this year, and so the celebration will no doubt continue today. My sister Susan, soon to turn 80 years old next month, advises people still reveling to be sure to "mind their Ps and Qs." She tells me that expression goes back to 17th century barkeeps, who, as part of their job, were supposed to keep a close eye on their patrons. The barkeep would tell everyone to "mind their Ps and Qs," which referred to pints (Ps) and quarts (Qs). Good advise no matter the century. And speaking of centuries, I took the above photograph of Susan sometime back in the late 20th century, when we were visiting our mother Mary at her condo down in Stuart, Florida. I assume Susan borrowed that hat from my mother. As for the bear, I suspect she swiped it from some young kid living in the neighborhood. Hopefully, she returned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment