Monday, January 24, 2022

Sunday Afternoon At The DAM





My sister Susan and I went to the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) yesterday afternoon and visited three exhibits: Whistler to Cassatt: American Painters in France; Disruption: Works from the Vicki and Kent Logan Collection; and The 19th Century in European and American Art. Whistler to Cassatt is the big draw this winter, which was nice, but for pure shock value and the inspiration for hours of art talk, you can't beat the Vicki and Kent Logan Collection. One of the paintings I actually liked in the exhibit was Giant Apache Bride, seen in the photograph on the left. But most of the other works just made me wonder why. Why???







For example, take the painting on the right. Would you actually want to hang it in your house? And if so, why? It is the stuff of nightmares. Can you imagine getting up to go to the bathroom at night and passing this thing hanging in the hallway? I wish that the Logans would host an open house at the museum and take questions about what they were thinking when they bought these pieces. I would love to hear their answers.






As for the Whistler to Cassatt exhibit, I enjoyed looking at the paintings, especially the ones by Cassatt, but what I really liked best was the moving pictures of 19th Century Paris being shown in the atrium. To me it was fascinating. Just the fact that it was possible to make these films back then, and that they are still around today, is amazing. I took the photograph on the left of coaches being driven past Notre Dame. These films remind me of my first trip to Paris back in the day. Or was that actually a past life?  Who can tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment