Sunday, January 16, 2022

It's January - Missing The Good Life In Florida


It has been cold as hell here in Denver lately, and I am wishing that the condo down in Stuart, Florida my sister Susan and I own was not rented out, and that we could head down there and enjoy the (comparatively) warm weather. I say comparatively, since I remember going down to Florida in December, taking the train from the airport, and being glad I brought my winter jacket, as I watched the snow birds on the platform, in shorts and tee shirts, freeze their asses off. The above photograph, by the way, was taken just a short walk from our condo, showing an egret that once made it's home there along the St. Lucie River. The river was pretty clean back when this photo was taken, but these days it is polluted by runoff from sugar plantations, owned by wealthy, politically connected insiders who donate large sums to elected officials to avoid having to clean up their act. But I still wish I was down there right now. And yes, there is currently a serious attempt to save the river. I certainly wish them luck - they'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment