Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My 69th Birthday!


Today is my 69th birthday, which is old, but not as old as my sister Susan, who celebrated her 80th birthday yesterday. Susan, our mother Mary, and father Nelson were celebrating Susan's 11th birthday at their favorite restaurant, the Rosewood Inn, owned by family friend Art Houle, and located in Chicago's Southern Suburb of Blue Island, a few hours before I was born. The Rosewood Inn had the coziest bar I have ever seen, and I must have instinctively known this, and wanted to get out into the world and have a beer. However, instead of having me there, they took my mother to St. Bernards Hospital on Chicago's South Side to be born. Susan was hoping for a baby sister and was very disappointed that she got a baby brother instead. She did finally get over it after about 60 years or so. The photograph above, by the way, was taken of me at age 6 in Galesburg, Illinois, back in 1959, where we dropped Susan off at Knox College to begin classes, just a few years after one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates took place there.

No comments:

Post a Comment