Saturday, January 22, 2022

High Tea At The Brown With The Grand Champion Steer





I went to the Brown Palace Hotel in downtown Denver yesterday morning to have high tea with the National Western Stock Show Grand Champion Steer. I have never attended this event before, and was surprised the line to get in was moving so slow. Most of the time, I was standing outside in the cold, but when I finally got into the building, I took the photograph on the left of the crowd sipping their tea. However, no sign of the steer.




Once I got into the lobby, I saw that Yeller, the Grand Champion Steer, and Bacardi, the Reserve Champion, were in the far corner of the room, as opposed to being in the center, where I envisioned they would be. And I also learned why the line was moving so slow: everyone was having their photograph taken with Yeller, the Brown Palace e-mailing their photos to them later in the day. Obviously, that takes a lot of time. But the more important question is why? Why do people want their photograph taken with this doomed animal? Must be some sort of cowboy thing. And yes, that is indeed a piano player on the left in the photograph on the right, no doubt soothing the souls of those savage beasts. 




I myself opted not to have my portrait taken with Yeller, but was able to take the photograph on the left of him as I passed by. The poor thing was not at a table, and as far as I could tell, was not given any tea or crumpets. Seems hardly worth the effort for him to go from the National Western Stock Show grounds to the Brown Palace, and then back again. Grand Champion Yeller is from Iowa, and Reserve Champion Bacardi is from Texas. Each weighs around 1,300 pounds, and so if one of these creatures steps on your foot, you will know it. After yesterday's adventure, I have decided I will not attend another one of these galas unless the guests of honor are allowed to mingle with their admirers in the dining area. Fair is fair, after all. Plus, it would make for much better photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment