Wednesday, September 14, 2022

All Quiet Around Wynken, Blynken, and Nod


I took my sister Susan's dog Blackberry for a short walk in Denver's Washington Park the other day. It was hot as hell, and so there were not many people out and about. While there, I took the photograph above of the Wynken, Blynken, and Nod statue with the Eugene Field House in the background. The house was built in 1875 and located on West Colfax Avenue, until a group of preservationists convinced the "unsinkable" Molly Brown of Titanic fame to buy the place and move it to Washington Park, where it became a branch - a very small branch - of the Denver Public Library. Field only lived in Denver between 1881 and 1883, when he was managing editor of the Denver Tribune, before moving on to Chicago. He didn't publish his famous poem until 1889, and so his ties with Denver are not what I would call very deep. The house is now empty, although I would be happy to offer the City of Denver a few thousand dollars to take it off their hands. I wonder how that would go over?

No comments:

Post a Comment