Monday, September 5, 2022

It's Labor Day! Time For A Hike!


Today is Labor Day, and here in Colorado it is a popular day for hiking. Back in the day, my then wife Lisa, sister Susan, brother-in-law George, and I used to go hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park on both Memorial Day and Labor Day. Of course, these days thousands of people head up there on weekends, especially holiday weekends, and so today is not a good time to go, unless you enjoy bumper to bumper traffic. In addition to Rocky Mountain National Park, we also used to go hiking in the Flatirons above Boulder. I took the above photograph there sometime in the mid-1980s when Lisa and I and Susan and George (in the background) went hiking with our friends Father Bob, a Catholic priest at St. Thomas Seminary, and Linda, a church volunteer (in the front row). Father Bob eventually left the priesthood and married Linda, and we never heard from them again, which is kind of sad, but I guess they wanted to make a fresh start and leave their past lives behind. Which is certainly understandable. But I still miss all the fun we had back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment