Sunday, September 18, 2022

La Salle Street 1973






As I mentioned in last Sunday's blog, I recently ran across a bunch of black and white photographs that I took of downtown Chicago back in 1973. One of these photos, of La Salle Street and the Chicago Board of Trade, I scanned into my computer as a color photograph, resulting in the sepia-toned image seen on the left. I believe I took this photo standing near The Rookery, an architectural masterpiece designed by Daniel Burnham and John Root back in 1888. The glass roofed lobby was remodeled by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1905. I always used to walk through this lobby whenever I was in the area. As for the Art Deco Chicago Board of Trade building, built in 1930 and home to the oldest futures and options exchanges in the country, it was always fun to go up to the viewing room overlooking the trading floor, and watch the controlled mayhem going on down below. Sadly, thanks to the dawn of the computer age, that trading floor is now (I think) long gone, still another sign of the decline of Western Civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment