Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Lunching With Stuart At Spanky's


I had a late lunch with my friend Stuart, seen in the photograph above, at Spanky's Roadhouse, located just down the street from the University of Denver campus, where I worked at the bookstore for almost 28 years before the store was outsourced to Follett Higher Education Group. Our conversation about baseball was pretty short this time. The Colorado Rockies are 20 games under .500 and almost 40 games out of first place. Stuart's team, the Chicago Cubs, are 22 games under .500, but a mere 24 games out of first. My South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, are a mediocre team in a mediocre division, and yesterday afternoon I held out no hope for them. However, last night, I saw on MLB.com that they were still playing, well past 11:00 P.M. Chicago time, down 5-3 in the 10th inning against Cleveland. However, the score suddenly change to 5-5, and I decided to tune in to the game. Of course, as soon as I started watching, the White Sox reliever gave up 5 runs in the top of the 11th, and although they did score two runs in the bottom of the inning, Cleveland won 10-7. And so, instead of being just 3 games behind the first place Guardians (I hate that new name), they were now 5 back, and I really do think you can stick a fork in them. It is time to put "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" over the entrance to Guaranteed Rate Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment