Friday, November 11, 2022

Veteran's Day 2022


Today is Veteran's Day, a holiday which honors all who have served in America's Armed Forces, and therefore, I am once again featuring the above photograph of my father Nelson (seen on the right), posing with two of his fellow officers in what I suspect was Abilene, Texas, where he was undergoing training during WWII before being sent off to Okinawa. My father was a dentist, and was surprised as hell when he was drafted at the age of 35. He hated being a dentist, and my mother Mary once told me he actually liked the army, and considered working on teeth in Okinawa a break from his usual routine back in Chicago. Of course, there were several typhoons when he was there, and each time he lost all of his possessions. But at least by then the fighting was over, except for shots fired by the occasional sniper, which I assume must have been annoying. To say the least. It reinforces the fact that this truly is a very somber holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment