Saturday, November 5, 2022

The November Issue Of Chicago Magazine


I just finished paging through the November issue of Chicago Magazine, and am wondering if I am losing touch with my old home town. One of the feature stories is about "The 20 Best Vegan Dishes in Town," which the article claims even non-vegans will love. They are wrong. And the real estate ads feature properties with prices ranging from 1.7 up to 6 million dollars, which is slightly out of my price range, if I was looking to move back to Chicago from Denver (I am not). The listing of the month is a former two-flat in Rogers Park selling for $950,000. Years ago, my Grandfather and Grandmother Spillard rented the lower level of a two-flat on East 85th Place, on the South Side of Chicago, from Mrs. McKenzie for $86 a month. My sister Susan, who lived there with my mother Mary when my father Nelson was overseas during World War II, just loved that apartment and the surrounding neighborhood. I walked around the area when I visited Chicago 12 years ago, and both the neighborhood and the two-flat still looked good. However, I suspect it would not sell for $950,000, although I could be wrong. I need to get back to Chicago soon to see if things there are that different from what I remember, or if I am getting a distorted view of the city from Chicago Magazine. But is that even possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment