Friday, November 25, 2022

Thanksgiving 2022




I hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my condo here in Denver yesterday for my friend Stuart and sister Susan, seen in the photograph on the left chowing down on turkey, dressing, sweet potatos, and other assorted goodies. However, looking at this photo and comparing it to the one I posted yesterday of a long ago Thanksgiving dinner, it is clear that I need to start focusing on setting up a more attractive table. I am so focused on cooking the meal that I never think about a tablecloth, dishes that match, candles, and all those other little extras that add to the ambience like the table seen in yesterday's photo. Of course, after cooking the meal, my attitude is usually to hell with ambience - let's just eat.







The photograph on the right was taken of my mother Mary standing proudly in her dining room on Easter Sunday, back in 1957, in our home in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. The common element in each photograph is, of course, the china cabinet, which I inherited from my mother, along with her collection of Royal Doulton Toby Mugs. I was 4 years old when this photograph was taken. I assume I must have been in the kitchen at the time, cooking the meal, washing dishes, scrubbing the floors, etc. But not learning how to set a good table. So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment