Monday, January 21, 2019

A Trip To Boulder








My friend Stuart and I drove up Highway 93 from Lakewood to Boulder, Colorado Sunday afternoon, which provided great views of the Flatirons along the way. When we got to Boulder, we first walked down West Pearl Street past a number of old historic homes, including the Arnett-Fullen House, in front of which Stuart is posing in the photograph on the left.  This house, built in 1877, was Boulder's first historic landmark.  The owner spent all of his money building it, and then traveled from Colorado to Alaska and the Yukon to search for gold in order to restore his fortune. He didn't, and died there in 1900.  A widow named Fullen bought the place, and her family lived there until 1992, when it was sold to the Boulder Historical Society, which used it for offices.  They wound up selling it, and now it appears that work is being done on the inside, perhaps to turn it from offices back to a home.







We continued walking west on Pearl Street until we got to Settler's Park, which runs along Boulder Creek, seen in the photograph on the right.  I couldn't help but notice that there were some tents underneath the foliage along the far side of the river, no doubt where some of the homeless live. Quite a contrast to the big houses located just a short distance away on Mapleton Hill.  I would have to think it would be damn nippy living like that in the middle of January, especially at night.  If it was me, I would head immediately to San Diego and hang out on the beach, but that's just me.

Afterwards, we turned around and walked back to the Pearl Street Mall, and checked out the happenings there, as well as on the streets bordering the mall.  I took the photograph on the left of one of the large houses in the area, not because it is historic or anything, but just because I found it to be pretty impressive looking.  I could see myself sitting in one of those rocking chairs each day before heading off to the mall, or to one of the surrounding trails through the Flatirons.  A lot of space for a single person, but I suppose I could fill it with servants.  We then had dinner at Post Chicken and Beer, which serves great meals in a location just off the mall.  When we arrived the place seemed to be filled with Los Angeles Rams fans (Yes. No doubt more of these Californians) watching the game. After the game ended, however, the most boisterous of these fans left, resulting in a much more mellow atmosphere.  And I strongly recommend The Post if you happen to be in Boulder.  Great food, great atmosphere, and even a fire going in the corner.  Can't beat that, despite the Californians.

No comments:

Post a Comment