Wednesday, January 2, 2019

New Year's Day Soccer



I went with my friend Mark (seen in the photograph above) to watch Tottingham (a London soccer club) play Cardiff City yesterday morning with Denver's Tottingham Fan Club. The gathering took place at Esters Neighborhood Pub on South Holly Street, and the food there was pretty damn good. And I must say, I was very impressed with the turnout.  The place was packed with soccer fans at 10:00 in the morning on New Year's Day.  Talk about dedication.  Tottingham won the game 3 nill (as the soccer crowd says), and after the game ended the entire room sang what I assume is the Tottingham official song.  One of the leaders of the group, a British ex-pat, remarked about how American sports fans don't cheer or sing songs after their team wins.  I must beg to differ.  Back when I lived in Chicago and attended Chicago White Sox baseball games at Comiskey Park on the south side, the entire stadium (all 200 of us) would launch into "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" whenever the team won a game.  Granted, that was only a couple of times a year, but we still did it.  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment