Thursday, January 31, 2019

WOW Wednesdays





My friend Stuart (seen in the photograph on the left) and I went to Mannie and Bo's Pizzeria in historic Golden, Colorado last night for WOW Wednesdays, which  features a large, 3 item pizza for $12.99.  Now that is a good deal, and the pizza was very good, too.  The last time we were here, it was to watch the Chicago Cubs during the National League playoffs back in 2016.  They went on to win the World Series that year for the first time since 1908, back when Stuart was a mere kid.  The last two years they have played pretty good during the regular season, but have not fared well in the playoffs.




Before Stuart and I got together for pizza, I decided to first head into downtown Golden and taken a walk along Clear Creek.  There is a path that meanders along it's banks that is part of the Jefferson County Open Space District.  Although you are only a short distance from downtown, it feels like you are way out in the wilderness.  Golden, as I have said before, is just a short distance west of Denver, but because it is separated from the rest of the metropolitan area by a butte (seen in the photograph on the right), it has retained it small town charm.  It was in fact Colorado's first state capitol, and retains many buildings from the 1860s and 70s.




And I have to say, the people in Golden are very friendly.  After hiking along the Clear Creek path (seen in the photo on the left) to the end, I walked down the main drag and then through the 12th Street historic district.  Lots of people said hello to me and asked if I was getting some good photographs, as opposed to back in Denver, where they often just look and you and snarl.  Golden, in addition to historic homes and the state's first capitol, also has a great beer garden that someone put in their backyard.  Now that is my kind of town.  And what about the prices of the homes here? Guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment