Saturday, January 5, 2019

The First Friday Of 2019





I drove over to Denver's Santa Fe Arts District last night, where I once again participated in the monthly First Friday Art Walk.  Just like last month, I couldn't help but notice that more and more art galleries are closing.  Is it because the rents are getting too high for these galleries to afford, or is it because the interest in the arts (by which I mean actually buying art) here in Denver is just not that strong?  In any case, the crowds are still coming, which means a much higher percentage of hipsters per square foot of gallery space, which almost always guarantees a very claustrophobic experience.







Regardless, the art on display each month  is almost always "cutting edge," by which I mean damn weird. Take the art piece in the photograph on the right, a female form with the head of a stoplight.  Seriously - is this what you want to put in your living room, to spark conversations about art and what the purpose of art really is? What happens when this current topic of conversation becomes passe? Do you throw this priceless art object out in the trash?  I suggest putting it in a major Denver intersection, such as Colfax (the longest, wickedest street in America) and Broadway. On the other hand, it might actually look good out on my balcony.  The mind reels with possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment