Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Zoo In January - Part II





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I went to the Denver Zoo last Wednesday afternoon to walk around and take a few photographs.  I took a number of animal portraits, and afterwards decided to make a circuit of the place, where I happened upon the funky horses or donkeys (I am from the south side of Chicago, after all, and we had very few of these creatures running around the neighborhood) in the photo on the left..  I am not sure if they were "horsing around" or not - one horse was chasing the other, and the horse being chased was landing it's back hoofs on the pursing horse, which I think would probably hurt.



And so what was going on?  Was it a case of a male horse feeling a bit frisky and the female not being in the mood? Or was it simply siblings playing around and amusing themselves on an unusually warm January afternoon. Where are the docents when you truly have a question?  Most of the time they are only around when the animals are lying around taking a nap, explaining to us all that these creatures eat approximately 1,000 pounds of food a day and then have to sleep it off for 7 or 8 hours.  When I actually want to know what is going on, these docents are nowhere to be found.  I definitely need to write a letter (or these days, of course, send an e-mail) to Denver Zoo officials.  I am sure they will welcome the inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment