Saturday, April 22, 2023

Reading Two More Laurence Shames Novels Via Kindle


I decided to order two more Laurence Shames' Key West Capers novels through Kindle, using the iPad I inherited from my late brother-in-law George. I really prefer books, but since there are no used copies of those books available, going the Kindle route was much cheaper. Plus, I read in the reviews that these two stories are both narrated by Nacho, the pet chihuahua owned by Bert the Shirt, the main character in the series. He is a 90 something ex-mafia guy, who helps Key West locals and visitors alike with the various situations they blunder into. I shouldn't have worried - the books are in the same comic style as the others, and the dog's narration is limited to just a few pages scattered throughout the story. In Nacho Unleashed, Bert helps out a new resident who gets a job at a tasting room in Key West that just happens to be owned by a Mafia guy. In The Paradise Gig, Bert comes to the rescue of a local woman whose newly discovered son is recording a sure-to-be hit song with a music producer who is up to something shady and possibly dangerous. I liked both of these comic novels, and have decided that next time, I might even spring for the actual books. And yes, that is indeed me in the photograph above on the beach back in August of 1983. Not in Key West, of course, but in Stuart, Florida. And surprisingly, I have not aged a bit since that photo was taken. As I have said many times before, it can only be a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment