Sunday, April 30, 2023

Remembering Stewie Anderson's Sailboat


My mother Mary and father Nelson moved to a condo at the Monterey Yacht and Country Club in Stuart, Florida back in 1976. My Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie had moved there a few years earlier, and my father was anxious to retire there too, and play golf with my uncle on the complexes' 9 hole par 3 golf course (until the 2nd hole became a par 4 to stop golfers driving over the Winn Dixie grocery store and endangering shoppers). However, the yacht club never had any yachts, since the developer was not allowed to dredge the St. Lucie River. The only boat I ever saw there - and seen in the above photo - belonged to a resident name Stewie Anderson, who moored the boat in the middle of the river and kept a dingy at the pier in front of the yacht club in order to access it. How he was allowed to do that when no one else could will always been a mystery. I wonder if I should buy a used boat and moor it there like Stewie did years ago, and see what happens, once my sister Susan and I stop renting the condo and begin to use it part of the year? What could go wrong? And by the way, the yacht club is only used for parties these days, which I think is true of yacht clubs the world over. Who needs boats?

No comments:

Post a Comment