Monday, April 10, 2023

Visiting Roxborough State Park At Last!





My sister Susan and I visited Roxbourgh State Park, located against the foothills south of Denver, last week, and it was very impressive to see. The park consists of dramatic red sandstone formations that tilt at a 60 degree angle, as seen in the photograph on the left. I have driven through the area many times, but never entered the park, since you either need to have a state parks pass or pay a fee. Being a notorious cheapskate, that was never an option. We did try to visit last year on a free day, but were turned away because we had Susan's dog Blackberry with us, and dogs are not allowed. 





Happily, starting this year, a parks pass comes with your Colorado license plate renewal, unless you specifically decide to opt out, and so we were finally able to enter the park. I was all set to show my car registration with the relevant permit to the park ranger at the entrance gate, but it was untended. What a letdown - any Tom, Dick, or Harry can evidently just flagrantly drive in this time of year without paying a dime. Wish I knew about that thirty years ago, but what the hell. It was indeed fun to finally see the place. I highly recommend it. And don't be a cheapskate when you get to the entrance station.

No comments:

Post a Comment