Sunday, June 2, 2024

Final Thoughts On A Road Trip To Middle America


My road trip to Clear Lake, Iowa, Duluth, Minnesota, and Bayfield County, Wisconsin with my sister Susan and cousins John and Annette was a lot of fun, despite the "tick encounter" on the hike into my 40 acre "estate" south of Herbster, Wisconsin. Clear Lake is a beautiful community, and as John and I explored the neighborhood where our family spent so much of their lives, we met and talked with many friendly locals. Duluth, of course, is a much larger city, but everyone we met was still very friendly, and it is always a fun place to visit. We did miss seeing a Great Lakes ore boat or freighter go through the famous Lift Bridge, but there is always next time, right? And just yesterday, I received still another offer for the north 20 acres of my property. I have finally realized that all these people are competing with each other to start a giant tick farm. There has no doubt been a secret technological discovery that makes those ticks worth a fortune, and that area south of Herbster has to be the tick capitol of the world. I am definitely not selling. In fact, I might very well start a tick farm myself. I am sure Susan and cousins John and Annette will be all in on the idea. And the photograph above, by the way, is of the downtown Bayfield, Wisconsin waterfront. It is indeed a beautiful little town, but sadly does not have nearly enough of those valuable ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment