Tuesday, June 18, 2024

The June/July Issue Of Chicago Magazine


I perused the June/July issue of Chicago Magazine yesterday afternoon, which has several interesting articles that caught my eye. The cover story is titled "The Suburbs! Best Places to Live," which was divided by best places for families, singles, space seekers, and those seeking brand new homes. And I was surprised to learn that the median price of attached housing in Evanston, which is a really nice place to live, is $275,000, and in Forest Park, just to the west of Chicago and a quick "L" train ride from the Loop, the median is $158,000. Now THAT is a bargain. It just shows how out of whack real estate prices are here in Denver. There was also an article about Al Capone getting arrested at the start of his career when he was running a "disorderly house" back in 1921 called the Speedway Inn. This establishment was located in the Chicago suburb of Burnham. I myself have never heard of Burnham, but it was apparently an extremely lawless place just south of Chicago along the Indiana State line. I'll have to visit it the next time I am in Chicago - I just love photographing formerly lawless places. There was also an article about the making of Millennium Park, which turned a huge area of railroad yards adjoining Grant Park in downtown Chicago into a world class site. The most amazing thing to me was that nothing was ever done with that property in the past because the railroads refused to sell it. Then someone, no doubt a Harvard man, decided to look up the deeds and found that the railroads didn't actually own the land at all - the city did, and the railroads only had easements, and not air rights. And so, the park could be built. Just amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment