Wednesday, June 12, 2024

The Fate Of A One Time Dream Home Has Been Confirmed




A few months back I featured the photograph on the left of what I am pretty sure was once my then wife Lisa and my Denver dream home (it was over 40 years ago, so give me a break). Back when we were first married, we were thinking about buying a home we could afford and liked. That house in the photo was located right across the street from Washington Park, with a view of the mountains beyond, and was for sale at the time (the early 1980s) for $279,000 (I think), which we could not begin to afford. Since we got divorced a few years later, it was probably for the best, but I was kind of shocked when I saw the fencing go up around that cute 1910 cottage-like home. In my blog post, I said that I hoped they were only going to do a major remodeling, but suspected that it would probably be leveled.





And in fact, yesterday afternoon as I was walking in Washington Park, I took the photograph on the right showing Denver's latest victim of gentrification, that very same cute little house, no doubt to be replaced by a more suitable edifice, most likely a modern three-story McMansion with a patio on the top floor. On the other hand, I noticed that the house right next door has weeds growing in the front yard and looks empty. Perhaps that place will be torn down too, and a mini-Versailles will take up both lots. Still another example of rich people in the neighborhood being replaced by very rich people. Hopefully we Denverites will not have to face the mansion and bow whenever we walk past. Or at least only on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment