Saturday, March 7, 2015

Springing Ahead


Tonight we move the clocks forward an hour and start Daylight Savings Time, a sure sign of both spring and the summer to come.  Soon the swimming pool at my condo building will be open and University of Denver students will once again be diving into it from the balconies, being carted off to the emergency room afterwards.  Here in Colorado there are two rival bills in the legislature, one to institute year round Daylight Savings Time and the other to institute Year Round Standard Time.  Both bills claim the switching to the rival time system will kill you in the end.  I am sure they are both right.  In any case, most of the world switches to Daylight Savings Time each year.  Back when I had money and was sightseeing on the island of Santorini in Greece, I remember waiting for over an hour at my hotel to be driven to the ferry to Athens.  When the driver finally got there, he told me that we had switched back to Standard Time the previous evening.  I was really surprised at the time that the rest of the world also did this, and also pretty bitter about losing an entire hour of sightseeing.  Like I said, I have never denied being a cheapskate.

No comments:

Post a Comment