Friday, March 6, 2015

The Heartbreak Of Purchasing Colorado License Plates


The temporary tags on my new, luxury Hyundai Accent expired this week, and so I had to grit my teeth and drive to the local Denver Motor Vehicles Office to get permanent license plates.  Unlike in Chicago, where everybody just pays their $15 (or whatever) and puts a sticker on their window, here in Denver they charge by the age and value of the car.  Let me tell you, it was a tremendous shock to the system (and pocketbook) when I bought a new car here back in 1986.  As I recall, I think I had to be institutionalized for a brief period. Not only that, but DMV hides their Five Points office from all but local insiders.  Even though I've been there before, I still had to drive in circles for half an hour to find the place.  The streets go at all different angles in that part of North Denver, and they don't even have signs on the building letting you know it is the Motor Vehicles Department. Although when I finally got there, the parking lot was filled and the lines very long.  What's the deal with that?  Could it just be me?  Nah...

No comments:

Post a Comment