Friday, August 28, 2015

A Final Word (For Now) On Stuart, Florida


I end the Blog Posts (for the time being) on beautiful Stuart, Florida the same way I began them - with a sunset photograph of the St. Lucie River, just a hundred yards or so from my sister and my condo.  I took the above photograph just a few days ago, but comparing it to the one I published last week (which I took years ago), I noticed there was a major change - the palm trees are different.  The old majestic palm tree in last week's photo has been replaced by two newer trees.  And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  Exactly 10 years ago, Stuart was hit by 3 hurricanes in a row, two of which were direct hits.  There were special assessments to repair all the damage, and replacing the ruined trees and piers along the St. Lucie was part of that repair work.  Which brings up the big negative part of living in Florida - worrying about hurricanes for 6 or 7 months every year.  Just today, the governor of Florida has declared a state of emergency because of a hurricane currently heading for the state.  Talk about scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment