Thursday, August 13, 2015

Adventures On the High Seas (The St. Lucie And Indian Rivers)




I will soon be flying to Florida to check out my sister and my condo down in Stuart, Florida, and once again that puts me in a nostalgic mood.  Therefore, I have decided to feature a couple of photographs I took of my father Nelson (above) and my sister Susan and mother Mary (left) on various boat cruises in and around Stuart, Florida.  They have mostly been fun experiences, although one time we actually wound up shipwrecked.  The Captain (Captain Bob was it?) was explaining how treacherous the waters were to maneuver around there and then went on to prove the point by running aground on a sandbar near the St. Lucie inlet.  Try as he might, he couldn't get free.  My mother, father, Uncle Bill, Aunt Elsie, Great Aunt Babe (my mother and uncle's aunt), and Babe's daughter-in-law Lorie were all on the boat. They dropped the price of beer to a nickel, and the piano player played old time songs non-stop, with my Uncle Bill, no less, singing along.  The hours ticked by, the sun began to set, and it started to get damn chilly out there, even if it was Florida.  It wasn't until well after sunset that a large charter fishing boat (part of the same cruise line) came back from it's day out on the Atlantic and took the passengers back to the marina.  It was really not a fun day, but memorable.  And a valuable lesson was learned - watch out for those sandbars.

No comments:

Post a Comment