Monday, August 24, 2015

The House Of Refuge - 40 Years Later


I decided to tour the House of Refuge Museum (seen in the photograph above) for the first time in 40 years this past Saturday.  I first visited it with my mother and father and aunt and uncle back in 1975, when my parents were deciding whether to buy a condo here in Stuart.  The place is only open weekends, and the admission charge is steep- $8.00 - but I finally decided what the heck.   You only live once, and besides, they gave me the senior discount, once again without my even asking for it.  What's the deal with that?  In any case, they no longer keep turtles in the basement - that non-profit organization which tries to boost the survival rate for baby turtles has moved on to a new location, but everything else was the same.  The House of Refuge was a lifesaving station for shipwrecked sailors, built back in 1876, and is furnished the way it looked back in 1904, which is even before I was born.  The place is definitely worth a visit every 40 years or so.  I can't wait to visit again when I am 102.

No comments:

Post a Comment