Friday, August 7, 2015

A River Runs Through It


The Bookstore where I work on East Evans Avenue here in Denver used to be the Bonfils Theater. In fact, I personally attended maybe a zillion rehearsals for the Mikado in this building when my then wife Lisa played one of the three little maids back in 1982.  I also attended a lecture there by Henry Lowenstein, who ran the theater for many years and later had it renamed after him.  It was at that lecture that I first learned that a river ran underneath the building.  After a large amount of rain this past spring and a little bit of flooding, the covers over a number of cylindrical holes on the bottom level of the Bookstore were uncovered for a few days and water could be seen at the bottom of them.  One of my fellow employees told me it was the Farmer's Canal, and if I dropped a fishing line down there, I might very well start catching fish.  The big question is, why would anyone construct a building over a river?  Back in Chicago, we built buildings next to rivers, but never actually over one.  Must be a Colorado thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment