Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The 14th Colony


I just finished reading The 14th Colony, the new Cotton Malone adventure novel by Steve Berry, and I must say it is an excellent read.  The story revolves around an unrepentant former KGB officer living in Siberia who plans to take revenge on the United States for its role, along with Pope John Paul II, in bringing down the Soviet Union.  Although I really enjoyed reading the book and found it very exciting, Berry is once again letting his right wing politics show.  For the second book in a row, he is trashing Franklin D. Roosevelt.  In the Patriot Threat, he portrayed Roosevelt as an arrogant, unprincipled demagogue.  In this book, he claims that Roosevelt twice wanted to invade and conquer Canada - once in 1935 and again during World War II. Like other right wingers, I think he is bitter that Roosevelt established social security.  Tea party types are forever talking about the percentage of people who are no longer working, the majority of whom are on social security.  Instead of expanding the social security tax to solve this budgetary problem, I think they want the elderly to work until they drop.  Survival of the fittest - a true conservative value.  But I am not bitter. And I damn well intend to file for social security in 17 months and live for another 40 or 50 years.  So there Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment