Monday, August 7, 2017

A Final Word On First Friday



The First Friday Art Walk held each month on Santa Fe Boulevard here in Denver is always a lot of fun.  It a great place to people watch, and believe me, there are a LOT of interesting characters to see - probably mostly from California.  There was an especially large crowd at the Center for Visual Arts, run by Metropolitan State University of Denver.  This past Friday night there was actually a line to get in, with security guards only letting people in as others left.  The theme of the exhibit was Water Line: A Creative Exchange, although with many of the pieces I could not equate the theme with the work I was looking at.  The piece in the photograph on the left is an  example - I don't know what it is, or what it has to do with water, but I have to ask - is it for sale?



And if it is for sale, do people see it and say to themselves "this will be perfect for the living room?"  They are building a lot of mcmansions here in Denver these days, and in places like Greenwood Village and Cherry Hills, just south of the city , they are building a lot of full blown, Downton Abbey style mansions.  I have often wondered what they do with that space.  Now I know.  The one percenters probably put pieces like the wolf work and the string art in the photo on the right in their living rooms and then have big cocktail parties to show them off.  Of course, I don't know for sure since I am not a one percenter,  but why else could they create these pieces, unless they hope to get some modern art museum curator to pay an outrageous price for them.  That would be my plan - and perhaps an idea for retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment