Saturday, August 12, 2017

Bourbon Chicken Is Gone - But Not Far...

I took the photograph on the left of the bourbon chicken place as I was driving down Colfax Avenue the other night. Usually, the sidewalk is packed with people waiting for their order, but not that day.  As I looked closer, I saw that the place was closed for good, which was strange, since it was so popular.  You actually had to walk in the street to get around the people there.  It wasn't until yesterday that I spotted their new location further down Colfax Avenue, in a brand new building.  Denver's Bourbon Grill has gone upscale.  Will it ever be the same?  As for their old location, the photograph on the right shows how years ago in Denver, when a residential neighborhood goes commercial and people move to different neighborhoods, ambitious entrepreneurs would build shops in front of the house and open up a store.  There are a number of these structures on Colfax, as well as South Broadway. Looking at the photograph, I have to wonder who lives in those houses?  I assume it was once the owner of the shop, but these days I suspect they are divided up into apartments.  But who knows?



I remember one time walking around the area with my friend Darrel, checking out some of the local color on Colfax, and being offered free samples when we passed by the Bourbon Grill. I must say, it was damn good. In any case, as long as I was doing the bourbon chicken photo, I decided to include a photograph of Darrel that I took the day we got  free samples.  I scanned it from a copy of a Blurb book called Denver People and Places that I made for a photography class I was taking at the time.  In it, Darrel is standing in front of a local Colfax icon called Pete's Kitchen, where we had breakfast that morning.  Darrel at the time was sporting a short-lived beard, but rest assured that it is the same Darrel that appears on other pages of this Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment