Monday, August 21, 2017

The Golden Arts Festival




I went to the Golden Arts Festival yesterday afternoon after working a few hours at the local Denver bookstore where I am the bookkeeper.  It is one of my favorite art festivals of the year, and takes place along Clear Creek, that famous body of water that is used to produce Coors Beer, just a few blocks down river.  There was a wide variety of art on display, including a lot photography.  As usual, I was a looker, not a buyer, but nothing new there.  Cheapskates do not usually buy much art.



Right behind the booths is the Clear Creek History Park, which features a number of building moved there from the old Pearce Ranch in nearby Golden Gate Canyon.  In the background in the photograph on the right can be seen the Pearce/Helper cabin, built in 1878 and occupied through the 1920s and 30s by members of the Pearce family.  If you ask me, it must have been pretty damn nippy in there in the winter.  If it was me, I would have sold the ranch and bought a place in Denver with actual heat.  I guess I would not have been a very good pioneer, but so what?




There was also music at the festival.  A country/western band played on a stage at the front of the festival, and further down the street the fellow on the left played music on a big thing-a-ma-jig (to use the technical name).  He was also at the festival last year, too, and I still haven't figured out what the hell he is playing.  All I know is that it must be dam hard transporting it from gig to gig.  Hopefully he doesn't have to take a bus to get there.  Especially the Colfax bus.  I's like to see how that would play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment