Thursday, August 17, 2017

More Nostalgia? This Soon?





Yes - just deal with it, because going through the photographs in my computer looking for Blog material, I ran across the photograph on the left. As far as I can remember (which these days is not much), this is the first photograph I ever took of my father Nelson.  The location was at our house in the Brainerd neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago.  I took it in my bedroom, the same one that I inherited from my sister Susan when she went off to college. When she returned, of course, she found herself sleeping on the enclosed back porch from that point forward, for which she forgave approximately a year or so ago.


Looking at the previous photograph, it reminded me of the last photograph I took of my father,  in front of his Camero back in August of 1983, three months before he passed away.  My then wife Lisa and I had gone down to Stuart, Florida to visit my parents at their condo the summer after we were married, and had a really nice time. We had spent part of the day at the beach, and were driving back across the causeway to the mainland when we stopped to take a photograph of the sunset, or some pelicans, or perhaps both.  As Lisa and I walked back to the car, I snapped this final portrait of my father.  He and my mother had been living in Stuart and enjoying live down there for the past 7 years.. My father might have only had 7 years of retirement before he passed away, but at least he was able to enjoy that  And I am very happy to still have both of these photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment