Friday, August 18, 2017

Good News From The Good Neighbors Meeting





This past Wednesday evening I attended the quarterly Good Neighbors meeting at the University of Denver - seen in the photograph on the left - to hopefully find out what the university is up to these days. The new neighborhood liaison is Allan Wilson, who manages DU's real estate portfolio, and has been in that position for many years.  And he recognized me immediately, thanks to my 30 years at the DU Bookstore.  So much for going incognito.  In any case, the meeting covered current construction at the university and it's plans for the future.  Also discussed was the upgrade of the University of Denver Light Rail Station, which was the main reason I was there, since the university has stated that it's number one goal is to move the station to the corner of University and Buchtel Boulevards, which is exactly where my condo building is located.


When I had the chance, I asked if moving the light rail station was an idea that was still being considered.  Diana Helper, a reporter from the Washington Park Profile, and a representative from the City of Denver both shook their heads no, the lady from the city quite vigorously, explaining that it would cost a fortune to move the station half a block. Wilson told us that a new campus master plan was being developed, and since DU's upper level administrators favored it, moving the station was probably still going to be a part of it, but that it was unlikely to happen.  In other words, the top administrators of the university never let reality interfere with their plans for the campus.  But happily, I learned that the site for the proposed new station is an electrical substation on the other side of the street, and so my building (once described as a prime example of "Soviet style" architecture and seen in the photo on the right) will not be demolished.  For now.  And if the new station is indeed built, I can wave to all the commuters from my bedroom window while still in my underwear.  Talk about reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment