Saturday, May 12, 2018

Catching A Rockies Game With Mark



My friend Mark - who as regular blog readers know works at the library at the University of Denver - and I went to see the Colorado Rockies play the Milwaukee Brewers (the Brew Crew) at Coor's Field last night. After hamburgers at the Three Lions Pub (a soccer hangout, of course, given Mark's obsession with the sport) we drove downtown and wound up buying specially priced $20 seats on the first base side, as seen above (Mark is of course on the right, and the distinguished older gentleman on the left is me).  This was one long game - over 4 1/2 hours - and the Rockies gave up the lead in the bottom of the ninth inning, losing in the 10th by a score of 11 to 10.  Plus, a fine mist was falling, adding to the somber atmosphere.  The Rockies have a very respectable 21 and 18 record, but both times I have attended games they have looked really bad.  Perhaps I should offer to let the Rockies pay me not to attend, perhaps guaranteeing them a jinx free run at the playoffs.  Believe me, they have spent their money in worse ways.  In any case, while watching the game, I got Mark to attend the talk by Rebecca Chop, the University of Denver's Chancellor - scheduled for the end of the month - concerning the university's plans for the DU neighborhood.  Since I live directly across the street from DU, I have a very personal interest in this.  Mark has agreed to take copious notes, which will tell me whether to celebrate or break out the protest signs.  Thanks Mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment