Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Final Friday Of May




Last night after work I headed to the Denver Art Museum (the DAM) for their monthly Final Friday event.  I wasn't expecting much, since there is only one new show (Jeffrey Gibson - Like A Hammer), which features recent works by this Native American artist. It was not my kind of art, and so my fears were indeed realized. In the self portrait on the left, by the way, I am standing in front of of one of the museum's contemporary art works.  It is right at the entrance to the building, and is a popular sight to photograph.  I bet the curator really thought he would "clean up" with this piece, ho ho.



Since there was nothing new on display this month, most of the evening's events centered around workshops and various activities, including an art class teaching guests how to draw the various animal sculptures on display at the Stampede - Animals in Art exhibit, which has been on display for about 10 years now (or so it seems) and will be on view through May 19th, 2019.  Really?  It will be here for another year?  Give me a break.  It is not all that wonderful to begin with, and do you really think people will keep visiting the museum when all they will see is the same old sh*t.  But I digress. Still another event was an "Improv Workshop," seen in the photograph on the right.  I am not sure exactly what this has to do with art, and was not interested in finding out, and so decided to call it an evening. Perhaps next month, when a landscape photography exhibit opens, Final Friday will be a bit more interesting. One can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment