Sunday, May 27, 2018

Walking The Dogs




I spent part of Saturday afternoon walking the Tutu (in the photograph on the right) and Blackberry (on the left), my sister Susan and brother-in-law George's two dogs.  Both Susan and George are experiencing serious health issues, and are not able to walk more than short distances.  Therefore, I offered my services as a not quite professional dog walker, all for the usual price - nothing.  Dogs and cats are great companions, and I can see why so many people are devoted pet owners.  However, to me it is like having children - they are demanding, expensive, and you have to consider them if you want to travel.  And I do not envy pet owners having to take them out if they need to go outside at 3:00 A.M.  And so for me, walking them is fine, but I get to return them to Susan and George at the end of the walk.





Once Blackberry spotted a squirrel (a tree rat according to one of my bookstore co-workers), there was no getting her away that tree, as seen in the photograph on the right. And what would Blackberry have done if she had captured that squirrel?  Probably licked him to death.  It reminds me of that home security ad on television where two burglars walk into a house and are confronted by a fierce, growling dog.  It walks right up to them and drops it's ball, wanting to play.  Still another reason not to own dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment