Friday, May 25, 2018

Remembering Elburn




In the late 1970s, my sister Susan and brother-in-law George bought a house in Elburn, Illinois, located about 10 miles west of the Chicago suburb of Geneva.  At that time the Chicago metropolitan area ended at Geneva, and west of that was all farmland.  The house they bought was very nice, and my mother Mary and father Nelson (seen posing in front of the place in the above photograph) drove up from Florida to to visit.  I distinctly remember my sister forbidding George to fry bacon in the kitchen, and George having to do it in the unheated utility room (and it was a pretty cool fall, too, I might add).  Susan would also vacuum up crumbs right under my father's feet while he was still eating, shouting to Susan to "get that damn thing out of here." Susan is no longer such a fanatic about cleaning, by the way.  Every morning, a rooster - owned by Vince, the next door neighbor - would start crowing at 4:00 A.M. sharp.  Still, my parents came back for the Christmas holiday (I think).  Just a few years later, I moved to Denver, and Susan and George soon followed, selling the Elburn house.  I hear that the area is fully developed now, and Elburn has become a suburb of Chicago.  Happy memories of a happy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment